“Fiesta” Programme, 1—11 March
Celebrating Wonderful Women in Whanganui
MONDAY 1 MARCH
1. Yoga*: Join Sue for yoga outside on the lawn (mats provided, indoors if wet), 10-11am. No cost.
2. Explore Your Sensuality with Belly Dancing Fusion*: Jill Hurley, 12–1pm. Cost: $5; bring a scarf. (Supported by FPA).
3. Skype All Over the World: Find out how to talk face to face over the internet with friends & family, at no cost! 1-3pm. Limited places, register at the Whanganui Learning Centre, ph 348 4950. No cost.
4. Hip Hop & Happening*: Learn some basic hip-hop moves & dance steps with Maddy, 1:30-3pm. Koha.
5. Wonder Woman*: Bring your own cushion & snacks & watch Wonder Woman in her very first episode on the big screen, 6.30–8.30pm. Donations welcome.
TUESDAY 2 MARCH
6. Health from Home*: Learn some new tricks to improve your wellbeing with Naturopath Glenda Wright, 11am–noon. Donations welcome.
7. Menopause Matters*: Journey through menopause with nurse Raye, 12.30–2pm. Donations welcome.
8. Taking Care of Your Sexual Health*: Discover yourself with nurse Raye, 2.30–4pm. Donations welcome.
9. It’s All About Balance*: Explore Chakras & discover the essence of balance with Katrina, 5:30-7pm. Cost: $5.
WEDNESDAY 3 MARCH
10. “Things I’ve learned after 7.5yrs in a community law centre”*: Learn about legal stuff to empower yourself with Caryl from CLAW, 10am-noon. Donations welcome.
11. Creative Craft: Choose your own craft adventure with Linda at Birthright, 10–11.30am, ph 347 1770. Koha.
12. Cooking Activity: Mystery Box! Bring an item from your pantry & create a meal from what’s on the table, at Birthright, 12–2pm. Bookings essential, ph 347 1770.
13. Learn about your rights as a user of health & disability services*: Inform & empower yourself with Bronwyn (Advocate), 12.30–2pm. Donations welcome.
14. Jess Chambers, “Good As Gold”: Experience acoustic magic at the Function Room with this award winning musician, Stellar 7.30 pm (see back page for details). $15.
THURSDAY 4 MARCH
15. Guided Heritage Walk: Hear women’s stories as you wander through town with Louise & experience our heritage magic. Departs from Majestic Square at 10.30am. Donations welcome.
16. Basic Bicycle Maintenance: with Jonah at Green Bikes in Bedford Ave, 1–3pm, ph 347 2494. Koha.
17. Ladies Lounge: Be inspired by adult education. Sandra & Penny will entertain you with their tales of study & learning later in life, 7-9pm at the Whanganui Learning Centre. No cost.
FRIDAY 5 MARCH
18. Mother-Daughter Inspiration*: Let Hannah do your nails & Barbara introduce you to quilting, 9.30–11.30am. Donations welcome.
19. Herstory Collection Tour: Take a guided tour around the Museum’s collection with a special focus on artefacts relating to women’s lives through time, 11am. Gold coin donation. Bookings essential, ph 349 1110.
20. Free the Creative Woman Within*: Express yourself in writing with Joan Rosier-Jones. Utilise poetry, myths & imagery to access the creativity within (suitable for writers of any level), 2–5pm. Cost: $12, registrations required.
21. Books & Women*: Enjoy an evening in the garden with books, luscious & lovely. Penny & Ann-Marie will host you & share their love of books — fiction, non-fiction & poetry, past & present; 7–9pm. Cost: $5.
22. Surprise Party: Puppet show & dessert at the Museum , 7:30pm. Cost: TBA. Bookings essential, ph 349 1110.
SATURDAY 6 MARCH
23. Martinborough Craft Fair: Hosted by the Zonta Club of Wanganui. Cost $75. Ph Kathy 027 544 0012; or Pam 348 9081 to book. Departs 7am. An all day adventure!
24. Herstory Collection Tour: Take a guided tour around the Museum’s collection with a special focus on artefacts relating to women’s lives through time, 1pm. Gold coin donation. Bookings essential, ph 349 1110.
25. Women’s Films: (programme TBA) Davis Lecture Theatre, Whanganui Regional Museum, 7:30pm. Adults $10; special prices for members. Ph 349 1110.
SUNDAY 7 MARCH
26. Herstory Collection Tour: Take a guided tour around the Museum’s collection with a special focus on artefacts relating to women’s lives through time, 1pm. Gold coin donation. Bookings essential, ph 349 1110.
MONDAY 8 MARCH: INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY
27. Yoga*: Join Sue for yoga outside on the lawn (mats provided, indoors if wet) 10-11am. No cost.
28. In a Pickle!* Make the most of the autumn harvest & get pickling with Helen Hall, 10.30am-noon. Koha.
29. Basic Bicycle Maintenance: with Jonah at Green Bikes in Bedford Ave, 1–3pm, ph 347 2494. Koha.
30. Facebook: Create your own Facebook page. You can share photos & chat about what’s going on with friends & family . 1 – 3 pm. Limited places, register at the Whanganui Learning Centre ph 348 4950. No cost.
31. Explore Your Sensuality with Belly Dancing Fusion*: Jill Hurley, 5.30–6.30pm. Cost: $5; bring a scarf.
32. Where are women now? The evolution of feminism: Panel discussion at the Davis Lecture Theatre, Whanganui Regional Museum, 7pm. Koha. Ph 349 1110.
TUESDAY 9 MARCH
33. Evening Entertainment Extravaganza: A vibrant showcase of wonderful Whanganui women at Ceramic Lounge, 5.30–7.30pm. Ph 345 6833 for more details.
WEDNESDAY 10 MARCH
34. Making the Most of Memories*: Create a calendar or journal with Penny using tucked away treasures, 12.15 – 2.15pm. Cost: $10; bring postcards, photos, old cards etc.
THURSDAY 11 MARCH
35. Ministry of Women’s Affairs Forum: Enjoy an opportunity to meet with Shenagh, Chief Executive, to find out what’s happening at the Ministry. Hear what Whanganui women have to contribute during this open forum. Wakefield Room, Community House 1–3pm. Ph 345 6833.
Check this out: Call into Curves at 402 Victoria Ave during the Fiesta to pick up your FREE copy of Diane magazine jam packed with inspiration. Ph 347 8810.
A registration of interest for these events is encouraged. All events marked with an * take place at the Women’s Network (75 St Hill Street); and all others as indicated. Phone 345 6833 to register or ask for further information; otherwise register with the friendly folk indicated for each event. We look forward to celebrating wonderful women with you. Nice one!
Wanganui, New Zealand
Wanganui Business Directory
NZ Property Guide