1. Education is very important in NZ. School is compulsory from ages 6 to 16.
2. If a child is less than 14 years old, it is illegal to leave them without care of an adult (more than 15). A person can babysit younger children if they are at least 15 years old. And yes, you'd need to be 14 to be able to buy fireworks.
3. At the age of 16, a person can apply for fire arms license or have a tattoo. However, if you really want to have a tattoo at 16, you'd need parental consent.
4. A person can apply for learner's permit at the age of 15.
5. A person can't get married before he is 16. If you want to get married at 17, you'd need parental consent. 16 is a powerful age... a person is allowed to choose to get involved intercourse or even contraception and abortion... it is still expected that they know how to properly deal with the consequences of their actions. You can work full time at 16. But to work in the navy, army or air force, you have to be 17 plus a parental consent. At 18, you don't need it.
6. At 18, you can be obliged to serve in a jury. 18 is also the age wherein you can buy alcohol or tobacco, or even start gambling.
Wanganui, New Zealand
Wanganui Business Directory
NZ Property Guide